Do babies need a passport planning to go abroad on a family trip or go to meet your parents staying in another country, or have to go to another country for a business meeting? Whatever be the reason for travel, for you will need a passport.
People need a passport to travel from a country to another country. Young parents may be worried about traveling to other countries when they have babies with them. It is essential to be aware of the need of passports for babies.
Do Babies Need a Passports
Now a day it has become essential for children to have a separate passport. It is no longer allowed to include information about a baby in the passport of his parents. The intention behind such a move is to make international travel secure for the child. It also helps in reducing the risk of child kidnaps and child trafficking.
In the case of the child being included in the parent’s passport, he has the right to travel to many countries till he becomes 16. After the child turns16, a separate passport is a must for him. Although it is valid for a child to travel with parent’s passport till being 16, it is advisable that the family checks with the particular country before traveling.
Find Now travel baby swing
As it is evident by now that applying for a separate passport for baby is a requirement so one has to really plan and apply well in advance. Typically getting a passport for a child may take more than a month. Hence the parents seeking to go abroad with the baby must apply for baby’s passport well before two months from the planned date of travel. Once granted passport it stays valid for a period of 5 years no matter how much the baby may grow and change within the 5 years.
Application of passport can be done via online. An online application form has to be filled and the generated application print out is to be taken and sent to the office of passport issuance.
Documents which must be handy during application of passports are the completed application form,
- Identical passport-sized photographs (two),
- One of the photos should be signed on the back side by a professional who knows the baby,
- Original documents to prove the nationality of the baby (birth certificate),
and passport details of the baby’s parents. Along with all these necessary documents, the specified service charge is to be deposited.
The professionals who have to sign on the back side of the photograph should be the one who knows the family for at least 2 years. Suitable professionals can be teachers, pharmacists, dentists, journalists or police officers. The passport can take somewhere between two to three weeks for coming in normal days. But during peak times, even more, time may be taken by the authorities to issue it. So to avoid disappointment parents are advised to apply for the baby’s passport well in advance.
Do Babies Need Passports?
In the case of urgency, there is an option to go for fast track application services which may come at a higher price range. The passport issuing authority may call for an appointment after they receive the application.
The photograph of the baby should be clearly showing the face against a plain light background. It is essential that the features are visible clearly. It really does not matter if the mouth is open or shut. The baby can also smile and whether the baby is looking at or not looking at the camera. But such liberties are not given to the adults while taking photographs. For babies younger than one year photograph showing him asleep is also accepted.
Some More Important Information Related To Passport Of Babies:
- Minor: Any applicant who is less than 16 years will be considered as minor for the issuance of a passport. It is important to clarify this age with the country rules and regulations where the concerned people are living.
- Earlier there was a provision of endorsement of child’s name in parents’ passport. But this practice has been stopped nowadays. So a separate application for passport of a child is required. Upon application, submission of documents and deposit of fee the passport will be issued separately.
- What about passport of the child when either the parents or one of the parents are not having passport? It is not mandatory for both the parents to have a passport in order to issue a passport to their baby. But if any one parent holds a valid passport in which the spouse name is endorsed then it becomes easier for the authorities to issue a passport for the baby. In such a case the authorities give exemption of police verification for the baby.
- If one of the parents is having a valid passport in which the spouse name is not endorsed then the child will not be exempted from the police verification. The way out here is that the particular parent has to opt for endorsement of the spouse name. This can be done by applying for reissue of passport after changing the personal details. When this is done then the baby may be granted passport without police verification.
- Minors can get passports which are valid for a maximum period of 5 years. Only adults get a passport that is valid for 10 years. But if a minor who is going to cross the age bar of being adults within few weeks may apply for a 10-year long valid passport. This is to be verified during the application process with the agents.
- And yes during urgencies we always have an option of applying for passport on a fast track basis. It might cost more but the passport can be issued in short period of time.
Awareness about passport issue and some rules related to it can always be helpful for all of us. In today’s time, it has become essential for all of us to move from one part of the world to another part due to one or the other work. It is always of best interest to know about the detailed rules and regulations of the passport related issues.
Read Also US Passport Service Guide