Want to learn how to make baby sleep comfortably in a swing without giving you much trouble? Read this guide for valuable tips to put the little one to sleep comfortably.
How to make baby sleep comfortably in a swing
- Get a quality baby swing
- Assemble the swing as per instructions
- Connect to the power source or put the batteries
- Place the baby on the baby swing
- Turn the swing on
Having the baby swing is one thing and putting your baby to sleep is another. This is especially true if you are dealing with a baby who hates the simple idea of being place on a swing. However, this does not mean that it is impossible but putting that little one to sleep in a swing is an art and knowing how to approach the process right is always important.
How to make baby sleep on a swing
- Choose the right location: – If your baby isn’t very fond of when do babies sleep in a swing, the first step you should take it to position it in the right location.
Normally, you should put it where the baby sleeps more often and this could be in their own room or yours. This should be a location where your baby will be sleeping for the coming weeks and thus, it becomes the “sleep spot.”
- Make the sleep spot a little darker: – The secret is in creating a “night-time” impression in the room and you can do this by using room darkening blinds.
- Make the room more entertaining: – Do this by providing continuous, loud white noise from a sound machine to help the baby sleep. The white noise will also work well for you especially in blocking the swing sound thus allowing you to sleep as well.
- Have all your needed sleep supplies nearby: – Bring all the required sleep supplies into the room and near the sleep spot. will include the nursing chair, pacifiers, swaddling blankets, and feeding chair among others. Having them near makes it convenient for you to reach them when necessary.
- Set up the baby monitor: – This can be good equipment especially if you are setting the baby swing in a different room from where you sleep or are working from.
- Place the baby on the swing: – Once everything is set, place the baby on the swing and strap him/her safely before putting it on. If you are dealing with a newborn, start by setting the swing speed to a faster rate or the highest available. You will be able to determine your baby’s preferred settings as you continue.
Many babies will be comfortable when you do this but others will throw tantrums when placed on a baby swing. However, this should not deter you but should be taken as a part of baby development stages.
Does Baby hate the swing? How to make baby sleep comfortably there
As aforementioned, making your baby sleep on a swing is an art especially if they hate the equipment. If you are dealing with a baby who hates the swing, the best thing to do is to place him/her on the swing while still awake and turn it on before walking away for a few minutes.
Some babies will cry while others will take it positively and surprise you. Once you place the little one on the swing while still awake, set the timer to around 5 minutes and do not be tempted into coming back before they relapse. This is always a good way to help in baby development and growth.
Advanced techniques on how to make baby sleep comfortably in a swing
These techniques will involve the use of so much soothing such that the baby will be unable to stay awake. With the baby night light on, follow the following parent’s guide to having your baby sleep in a swing comfortably: –
- Swaddle the baby: – wrap your baby’s arms and don’t do it to the legs since doing so does not add anything. You can leave the baby’s leg loose thus making it easy for you to strap him or her safely on the swing with swaddled arms.
- Place an item that smells like you next to the baby’s face: – Your baby needs the assurance that they are not very far from you and you can give them this assurance by placing one of your T-shirts or bra next to their face.
Make sure it is not placed in a way that could suffocate them especially if you are leaving them unmonitored for some minutes.
- Use a pacifier: – This will be good if your baby doesn’t have a problem with them but if the little one doesn’t take to pacifiers, avoid them.
- Wiggle their head: – With your baby sucking the pacifier, place them in the swing but under a baby night light and white noise. Hide behind the swing so the baby doesn’t see you and then push the swing using your arms (don’t put the motor on).
If the baby isn’t falling asleep or calming, jiggle the swing sideways while at the same time swinging it in the front-to-back direction.
This will help wiggle the baby’s cheeks. Continue with this for about 4 minutes or until the little one shows some signs of tiredness or sleepy blinking.
- Put on the motor: – Once your baby is sleep blinking or showing signs of getting tired, swing on the swing motor and watch them succumb to sleep.
If your baby is giving you a hard time sleeping, you can swaddle them until they fall asleep and then place them in the swing. This parent’s guide is good and can help you know how to make baby sleep comfortably before transferring them to the best baby cribs.
Baby sleep is very essential for baby development and you should learn the best techniques that will help you achieve the best results. Remember to always look for the best baby swing, best baby cribs, and the best crib mattress as these will play an important role in ensuring that your baby is comfortable whenever you put him or her to sleep.