Being new parents is such an amazing feeling. The life you created is in your arms now and you want to get the stars for them. What will you not do for your little bundle of joy? You are exhausted because of the initial few weeks can be tough. Then you move a few weeks ahead and soon you realize the struggle is just not coming to an end.
The most difficult time for brand new parents is the night time. This is the time of the day when your child will stay awake all night. Even if it will sleep, it will be in little bits and pieces at one time. Taking care of a baby can be a hassle for parents and therefore, to maintain their sanity, they better learn some skills. To be honest, you need to rest in order to take care of your baby and this is possible only if the baby sleeps through the night. So learn how to make your baby sleep. If you are strained and stressed, how will you provide best care for your baby?
With these skills that we will discuss in the article, you will be able to put your baby to sleep within weeks of their birth. All parents at some point are new at parenting and so have to learn the tricks along the way. Your friends and family will try to help you with what worked for them but ultimately you will have to find your own unique ways.
Here are some tips to help the new parents:
- Work on your baby’s body clock: Baby’s have an inherent need to follow a particular pattern. The reason that they do not sleep initially is because they were in the mother’s womb so far. Inside that, they had no realization of day and night and so when they come outside the womb they still cannot tell when it is day and when it is night. They continue sleeping and waking up according to womb timings. Now to alter this, you have to work on your child’s baby clock so that it sleeps and wakes up under the desirable pattern.
- Follow a schedule: Baby’s learn things quickly. If you want to have a good night’s rest, work on a schedule for your baby. Do the same things daily for a while so that your baby knows that what will follow what and when it is time for it to sleep. For example, set a time for sleeping and waking up. Try to feed the baby at the same time so that it knows that after this it is time to sleep. Place the baby in the crib at the sleeping time.
- Play with your baby: Baby’s are highly sensitive and they observe everything. Play with your baby and soothe it down when necessary. Follow a routine when it comes to this. Playing with your baby will let your baby feel happy and safe. This feeling will help him sleep better and in an instant without any problem. Follow a set turn of events such as if you give your baby a bath before making it sleep, do it on the same time daily.
- Mark the territory: If you use a crib for your baby to sleep in, do it every day. Let your baby know which place is meant for it to sleep n and which is only for playing and staying awake. This will be a lot of work initially as babies sleep every two hours and wake up intermittently to be fed. Do not let the initial struggle daze you because as the days progress, it will be comfortable for you to have ingrained this discipline in your child.
- Feed on time: This is another pointer that will help you so much in the long run. Babies usually need to be fed every two hours. Observe what your child’s frequency is and feed it according to that. Make a chart if you need to for the first few weeks. Once you know how often it needs to be fed, set a strict time schedule for doing so. This will help in letting the child know that how much time after having the meal it has to sleep.
- Rock your baby to sleep: Tiny tots love to be rocked to sleep. It has something to do with the rhythm that calms them down and helps them sleep sooner. You can use a cradle or a rocker to do it but if you do not have any of those, just use your arms. As a plus, you will have developed arm muscles by the end of two to three months of new born raising.
- Keep it neat: Keep your area of usage clutter free. This will help you organize things better. It is not a direct effect but if you will be feeling arranged and sorted, it will translate into comfort for your child and hence a better sleep for both of you.
- Do not overfeed: This is one mistake man mothers make. In an attempt to give proper nourishment to our neonates, young mothers over feed their kids. The digestive system of kids that young is not developed enough to handle that and so it can result in sleep troubles.
- Stop overdressing your kid: if your kid is born in winters, by all means you should keep it covered but be careful of overdressing your child. Children have trouble sleeping if their body temperatures are not regulated appropriately. A pointer will be to use a higher thermostat setting than using more clothing.
- Maintain silence:Do not watch television while making your baby sleep. Maintain noise free zone for your baby to concentrate and fall asleep in. If the baby does not get proper sleep, it will get irritable and then not sleep at all.
These are some of the pointers to help you along but ultimately it is your baby and only you can know best what it really needs.